I’ve been able to set up a Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 in a spare server box at work. I wanted to set up remote management from my Windows 7, also a workgroup laptop, but it was not a trivial task.
First, I had to set up the Hyper-V box correctly, as per Microsoft instructions in the readme file. Then I installed the Windows 7 Hyper-V Management extensions on my laptop. I enabled them in Windows Features but I kept getting this error message:
You do not have the required permission to complete this task. Contact the administrator of the authorization policy for the computer ‘COMPUTERNAME’
I found out the excellent posts by John Howard that explained the process of setting up the server and the client machine correctly.
I had to disable the password complexity requirements on Hyper-V server, as my current password in Windows 7 is not complex enough. It’s described in Medo64’s blog.
After all the setup, I still got this error message in Hyper-V Management snap-in:
Cannot connect to the RPC service, make sure your RPC service is running
The culprit was the hosts file, as the DNS service didn’t resolve correctly the hyper-v server name. I had to add a manual entry in HOSTS file and then it worked:
A weird thing happened to me yesterday when I was trying to edit a couple of work items in Team Foundation client from Visual Studio 2008.
Could not load type ‘Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.WorkItemTypeDeniedOrNotExistException’ from assembly ‘Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client, Version=220.127.116.11, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’.
I’ve installed the Team Explorer AFTER patching the VS2008 to SP1. Reinstalling the VS2008 SP1 again solved the issue by patching the Team Foundation client binaries, too.
Today I was setting up a fresh virtual machine with MOSS 2007 and I met the dreaded “An unknown error has ocurred” message after the SharePoint Configuration Wizard finished.
I traced it in the Event Viewer and it was a repetitive error such as this one:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
to the user NT AUTHORITYNETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
I looked up in the Registry and found out that the CLSID in the message identified one “IIS WAMREG admin service”. Then, I opened the Component Services, DCOM Config and under the properties of WAMREG service component I allowed NETWORK SERVICE account local launch and local activation permissions (on the Security tab).
The MOSS 2007 fresh welcome was just one IISRESET away!